Thursday, July 5, 2007

My 27th birthday

Inauguration of the newly elected officials, Mayor Eulogio"Yoly" Tupa took his oath of office at Palompon social center presided by Congressman Codilla.
Congressman Codilla, Mayor Jun Medina and company shortly after the proclamation last June 30. 10:00 AM.
In Kananga, Elmer "Eming" Codilla took his oath before Judge Malate at Kananga Session Hall, 2nd floor, Kananga Municipal Building.
Congressman Eufrocino Codilla with Palompon officials last June 30.


I already turned 27 last June 30. It was a hectic day for me but I still find ways to spend some of my time for myself and love ones. But, honestly it was one of the birthdays that I spend only less than P 200 pesos, believe me, I’m not kidding. Thanks to the Republic Act 7160 (otherwise known as the Local Government Code of 1991 that sets June 30 as the inauguration of newly elected officials.

In 4th district, two towns have already their oathtaking ceremonies a day before, but four others hold their inauguration on June 30, that happens to be my birthday. I can still recall that at the age of 12, we attended the inauguration of then mayor Ramon Oñate, with my grand uncle the late Margarito “Tatay Tots” (Toting) Codilla, a war veteran. The crowd packed the social center and I witness myself, how festive my birthday was not because of my preparation, but that of the newly elected officials inauguration, which is also my birthday. Then in June 30, 1998, I and my fellow youth coordinators and leaders took part of the victory party, and it was my 18th birthday (few months ago, we worked hard campaigning for Ramon Oñate, who was then on his last term, the first time that I got into political activities being one of the speakers bureau, a truly satisfying and fulfilling experience). Then before 2001, I was already hired as an employee of the municipal government in Palompon, assigned at the mayor’s office. And again in 2001, during my 21st birthday, more than 50 lechons are served at the packed social center with more than 3,000 barangay officials, civic leaders, etc. attended, because the new mayor at that time, former mayor Baloy Oñate took his oath before Judge Eric Menchavez, then the same thing that happened in 2004, June 30 during my 24th birthday, inauguration again of elected officials and at the same time, victory party for their supporters.

This time, since I have already resigned as municipal employee of Palompon since July 30, 2004, I do still attend the inauguration of elected officials in my hometown but including other municipalities also, considering that I worked now at congressman’s office.

Going back to what had happened last June 30, during my 27th birthday…as I have said a hectic day for me. At 5:00 AM I get up early to hitch a ride with my boss’ vehicle going to Isabel, Palompon, Kananga then back to Ormoc. About 9:30, we we’re in Isabel municipal hall already and then proceeded to the sala of Judge Lida L. Nicol where newly elected mayor Saturnino “Jun” Medina took his oath of office, he was accompanied of course by his colleagues led by vice mayor Greg Cerillo and SB members.

In Palompon, it was a grand victory party in the crowded Palompon social center (called tenisan when I was young…anyways, I’ll going to tell you the story behind, or the history behind rather…in my incoming blogs). This time, Yoly Tupa, the former vice mayor is now the new chief executive, with vice mayor Lloyd Surigao and SB members. Most of them are known to be Codilla political allies. The congressman administered the oathtaking and in fact promised to make a municipal gym (a smaller version of Ormoc superdome).

After that we proceeded to Kananga, Leyte where Eming Codilla is also about to take his oath of office. We reached there at about 2:00 PM, and the oathtaking started right away. It was the first time nga nakasaka ko sa municipio sa Kananga. After the snacks was served we then proceeded to Ormoc SP session hall to witness the inauguration of Mayor Eric Codilla, the second term of mayor Beboy I mean.

I have an invitation for Tabango, Leyte that night (no less than Mayor Bernard Jonathan “Benjo” Remandaban, invited me but I need to cancel my trip to that time, so that I can spend time with my family during that day—my 27th birthday.

At last, at 6:00 I’m in our rented house in Can-adieng already, then buy 2 lechon manok at nearby J-1 chicken (near Kusina Ormoc and Chicken Ati-atihan) for only P160. And still I enjoy my birthday despite that hectic day.

No comments: